When it comes to inspirational travel quotes you will find endless lists online. I’ve even got a short one here. But I struggled to find a specific list of solo travel quotes for women.
Now incase you didn’t know, the readers of this blog are split almost 50/50 between girls and guys. But for the guys reading this and travelling alone, I hope there may still be something here for you! And if not, feel free to share it with your sisters, mums, nieces, cousins, grandmas, girlfriends and whoever else you know who has a serious case of wanderlust!
50 Solo Travel Quotes for Women Travelling Alone
Before we get started a quick note on the list I’ve compiled. Not all the quotes are specifically written in reference to travel. However in my opinion, they are quotes that can inspire future solo female travellers.
And if they aren’t solo travel quotes, then they are quotes about the strength of women, quotes about being an independent women, and quotes by strong independent women who inspired generations of women in history.
Yep for this week’s #MondayMotivation I am going full on Caitlin Moran* on you guys. But I hope you like it.
*That was a big fat affiliate link. If you buy her banging rant on feminism from that link I’ll have a few more pennies in the
starving budget traveller travel blog fund.
…And most of all I hope these solo travel quotes inspire you!
Quotes About Solo Female Travel
1. “The woman who follows the crowd will usually go no further than the crowd. The woman who walks alone is likely to find herself in places no one has ever been before.” – Albert Einstein
2. ‘When you’re traveling with someone else, you share each discovery, but when you are alone, you have to carry each experience with you like a secret, something you have to write on your heart, because there’s no other way to preserve it.” – Shauna Niequist
3. “Traveling solo does not always mean you’re alone. Most often, you meet marvelous people along the way and make connections that last a lifetime.” – Jacqueline Boone
4. “As a woman I have no country. As a woman my country is the whole world.” – Virginia Woolf
5. “I learned my strengths and my weaknesses. I experienced the exhileration of the ups and the despairs of the lows and most of the feelings in between… I learned courage and I learned it myself” – Ann Stirk
6. “I see my path, but I don’t know where it leads. Not knowing where I’m going is what inspires me to travel it.” – Rosalia de Castro
7. “Women need real moments of solitude and self-reflection to balance out how much of ourselves we give away.” – Barbara De Angelis
8. “How do the geese know when to fly to the sun? Who tells them the seasons? How do we, humans, know when it is time to move on? As with the migrant birds, so surely with us, there is a voice within, if only we would listen to it, that tells us so certainly when to go forth into the unknown.” – Elizabeth Kübler-Ross
9. “Good girls go to heaven, bad girls go everywhere.” – Mae West
10. “Nobody can discover the world for somebody else. Only when we discover it for ourselves does it become common ground and a common bond and we cease to be alone.” – Wendell Berry
11. “If you don’t get out of the box you’ve been raised in, you won’t understand how much bigger the world is.” – Angelina Jolie
12. “The more I travelled the more I realised that fear makes strangers of people who should be friends” – Shirley MacLaine
Quotes About Following Your Dreams
13. “Do you really want to look back on your life and see how wonderful it could have been had you not been afraid to live in?” – Caroline Myss
14. “Never did the world make a queen of a girl who hides in houses and dreams without traveling.” – Roman Payne
15. “I hope the fathers and mothers of little girls will look at them and say ‘yes, women can.'” – Dilma Rousseff
16. “The question isn’t who is going to let me; it’s who is going to stop me.” – Ayn Rand
17. “This journey has always been about reaching your own other shore no matter what it is, and that dream continues.” – Diana Nyad
18. “Anybody can be an explorer if they want to be. You can be an astronaut if you want. Figure out what you want to do, and then go do it” – Helen Thayer
19. “Life is not easy for any of us. But what of that? We must have perseverance and above all confidence in ourselves. We must believe that we are gifted for something and that this thing must be attained.” – Marie Curie
20. “Don’t let anyone rob you of your imagination, your creativity, or your curiosity. It’s your place in the world; it’s your life. Go on and do all you can with it, and make it the life you want to live.” – Mae C. Jemison
21. “I did not want to be depressed by the gap existing between my weakness and my ambition.” – Ella Maillart
22. “Never give up, for that is just the place and time that the tide will turn.” – Harriet Beecher Stowe
23. “Begin doing what you want to do now. We are not living in eternity. We have only this moment, sparkling like a star in our hand and melting like a snowflake.” – Marie Beyon Ray
24. “An adventure may be worn as a muddy spot or it may be worn as a proud insignia. It is the woman wearing it who makes it the one thing or the other” – Norma Shearer
25. “We still live in a world in which a significant fraction of people, including women, believe that a woman belongs and wants to belong exclusively in the home.” – Rosalyn Sussman
26. “The purpose of life is to live it, to taste experience to the utmost, to reach out eagerly and without fear for newer and richer experience.” – Eleanor Roosevelt
27. “If you don’t go after what you want, you’ll never have it. If you don’t ask, the answer is always no. If you don’t step forward, you are always in the same place.” – Nora Roberts
Quotes About Being an Independent Woman
28. “You are the one that possesses the keys to your being. You carry the passport to your own happiness.” – Diane von Furstenberg
29. “Loving life is easy when you are abroad. Where no one knows you and you hold your life in your hands all alone, you are more master of yourself than at any other time.” – Hannah Arendt
30. “It is confidence in our bodies, minds and spirits that allows us to keep looking for new adventures, new directions to grow in, and new lessons to learn – which is what life is all about.” – Oprah Winfrey
31. “Never limit yourself because of others’ limited imagination; never limit others because of your own limited imagination.” – Mae Jemison
32. “If we are to achieve a richer culture, rich in contrasting values, we must recognize the whole gamut of human potentialities, and so weave a less arbitrary social fabric, one in which each diverse gift will find a fitting place.” – Margaret Mead
Feminist Quotes on Travel
33. “I can’t understand why men make all this fuss about Everest” – Junko Tabei
34. “Just watch, all of you men. I’ll show you what a woman can do…I’ll go across the country, I’ll race to the Moon… I’ll never look back.” – Edna Gardner Whyte
35. “I’ve never found my sex a hinderment; never faced a difficulty, which a woman, as well as a man, could not surmount; never felt a fear of danger; never lacked courage to protect myself. I’ve been in tight places and have seen harrowing things.” – Harriet Chalmers Adams
36. “I want to do is because I want to do it. Women must try to do things as men have tried. When they fail, their failure must be but a challenge to others.” – Amelia Earhart
Quotes About the Strength of Women
37. “A strong woman is a woman determined to do something others are determined not be done.” – Marge Piercy
38. “And the day came when the risk to remain tight in a bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.” – Anaïs Nin
39. “If women can be railroad workers in Russia, why can’t they fly in Space?” – Valentina Tereshkova
40. “I love to see a young girl go out and grab the world by the lapels. Life’s a bitch. You’ve got to go out and kick ass.” – Maya Angelou
41. “It is impossible to live without failing at something, unless you live so cautiously that you might as well not have lived at all, in which case you have failed by default.” – J. K. Rowling
42. “I’m not afraid of storms, for I’m learning how to sail my ship.” – Mary Louise Alcott
43. “Life shrinks or expands in proportion with one’s courage.” – Anaïs Nin
44. “I have learned over the years that when one’s mind is made up, this diminishes fear; knowing what must be done does away with fear.” – Rosa Parks
45. “Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. The fearful are caught as often as the bold.” – Helen Keller
46. “There is a woman at the beginning of all great things.” – Alphonse De Lamartine
47. “Don’t ever accept anyone else’s preconceived limitations. If there’s something you want to do, there isn’t any reason you can’t do it.” – Amy Dodson
48. “Always go with the choice that scares you the most, because that’s the one that is going to require the most from you.” – Caroline Myss
49. “I am willing to put myself through anything, temporary pain or discomfort means nothing to me as long as I can see that the experience will take me to a new level. I am interested in the unknown, and the only path to the unknown is through breaking barriers, an often painful process.” – Diana Nyad
50. “I’ve not ceased being fearful, I’ve gone ahead despite the pounding in my heart that says: turn back, turn back, you’ll die if you go too far.” – Erica Jong
So tell me, did this list of solo travel quotes inspire you to grab your metaphorical balls (or real balls if you’re a guy and still found this useful) and be just as adventurous as little boys are told they can be, while little girls are made to play with plastic kitchens?
And if you know of any more inspirational quotes about women travelling alone – leave them in the comments! Because we’re aaaaaall in thiiiiiis togeeeeether…
Lots of love,
Note that this post may include affiliate links. I always promise to recommend only those products or services that I use personally and love. If you purchase any products recommended, I'll receive a small commission from the company at no extra cost to you. Those small commissions help me reduce the cost of keeping this site up and running. So thank you in advance!