Over the weekend I decided to go spend some time with my Nana who lives in London, and coincidentally got talking to an old friend just the day before who offered to put me up in their spare room if I wanted to visit…. which I did!
Spending the night in London however meant I had to pack a weekend bag, which can be stressful if you don’t know what you’ll be doing: if you should take heels, if you need your entire make-collection plus a comfy dressing gown to wear in the evening. I was driving up, so I had enough space to take all the home comforts!
Not that I did…
I hate carrying a lot of stuff. The lighter I can pack the better! The problem with this is that it often results in feeling underdressed or leaving something behind! So I thought I’d help all you out in the way I would like to be helped out before a weekend getaway by detailing everything I took with me!
So clockwise from left I had:
- A wooly jumper! So I did take at least one home comfort… I was wearing jeans & a t shirt, with a leather jacket, so I grabbed this super comfy jumper from New Look to throw over in the evening for an instant fresh outfit with no hassle.
- Two pairs of prescription glasses… I have terrible sight and although I swear by contact lenses, I need to carry glasses with me if my eyes get tired in the evening. The pink Roxy ones are slightly ott but I love the colour and figured if I needed prescription sunglasses for driving they may as well look ridiculous… who’s going to remember what colour sunglasses that girl stuck in the M25 traffic jam was wearing whilst singing along to Bon Jovi at the top of her lungs with appropriate air-punching during the chorus? Exactly.
- Vaseline Cocoa Radiant Essential Moisture… I absolutely swear by moisturising, but when travelling and therefore flying a lot it’s impossible to carry around. So I treat myself to this gorgeous-smelling Cocoa moisturiser when settled for a while. It’s a teensy bit too greasy but I love the silky smooth feel!
- Sure deodorant… no need to explain that one!
- 212 Caroline Herrera perfume… similar to the moisturiser – I so rarely carry perfume when travelling so I definitely splash out when I don’t have to worry about airport restrictions!
- Nivea Hydro Care with spf15 – cracked lips are my pet peeve! I carry a stick of this with me everywhere I go.
- My make up bag… see more below!
- My trusty iPod! I’ve had the same one for going on ten years now and it has a total 13,000+ songs, far too many of which seem to stem from my emo stage and even more that seem an unfortunate reminder of how often we used to listen to Disney tunes in my university house. I could never dream of clearing it out as for the amount of terrible tunes there are just as many great ones which makes it a fun lottery on the round trip to London.
- My kindle… like any true-to-form hipster traveller (but not-quite-hipster-enough-to-carry-real-books) I can’t go anywhere without it. Basically I like reading, that’s a far as that explanation goes.
- My laptop… I work on the road, keeping up to date with this blog and writing articles as a freelancer so unfortunately the bulky laptop is my constant companion.
- My purse – I am convinced this purse was designed by little travelling cherubs who understood the need for various sections for passports, train tickets, different currencies, loose change, and credit cards before being wrapped up in a heavenly bow and brought to earth by God to sneak in to the mainstream lives of you and me through the trusty medium of Urban Outfitters. The best £10 I’ve ever spent.
So that’s all the essentials aside from my makeup! Before I go on to show the world the contents of my makeup bag though I have to make the (if not obvious) disclaimer that I am not and never will join the specialised ranks of the beauty blogger due to my utter and complete lack of knowledge about makeup/hair. I’ve had the same hair cut since I was 15 and unfortunately anything more than au natural beauty has me looking like a cross between a clown and Edward Scissorhands. If after reading that you think my makeup collection might offend, look away now.
Unimpressive, I know. From left to right:
- The aforementioned contact lenses – I always pack more than I need as I have a terrible tendency to pop them out accidentally whenever I sneeze or get in a fit of giggles.
- Sissi Moisturising Fluid Make Up – I have no idea about this brand except that it was the cheapest foundation on offer in the underground market in Budapest and seems to do the job.
- Maybelline Rocket Waterproof Mascara – I have always used waterproof mascara as no matter where I am in the world I tend to find water to swim in. I live on an island – swimming is definitely in my blood. I was also taught at a young age to always be prepared (proud Brownie scout) so instead of wasting money by having mascara for different occasions I carry this with me everywhere!
- Tweezers – my eyebrows have a life of their own. Enough said.
- Kohl eyeliner – I couldn’t tell you the make of this as I’ve had it going on 5/6 months but Kohl is perfect for travelling… it escapes the liquid checks at airports!
- Barry M Touch of Magic Lipstick – basically the best lipstick ever invented! I ran out in Budapest and they don’t have Barry M in Hungary(!) so I bought this in bulk when I returned to avoid any future shortages. It’s green in the tube and magically ends up the perfect colour on my lips. So much easier than trying every colour in the shop and never wearing any of them!
So there we have it, all tucked neatly in to my oversized Cath Kidston bag (who said I couldn’t do girly fashion?)… the essential packing items for a weekend getaway (if you were me, or someone like me)!